[cad-linux] Re: editing with this file format

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 20:53:13 -0500

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> phrostie
> on Sunday 07 September 2003 08:10 pm:

>in the basic case it would be simple.  the basic views(plan, top, bottom,
>left and right) would be created by taking one of the major axis and
> reducing it to zero.  then converting it to something like dxf.  where
> multipule views can be detailed and demensioned.  as time goes on more
> advanced features would need to be added.  the ability to render isometric
> views, auxilery views, section views, section cuts, and filtering

The operation is the same for any view, but would be preceded by a matrix
transformation to the view coordinate system.

I would think again about the dxf export.  The industry needs to move away
from non-associative dimensioned paper (dxf is just another kind of paper)
drawings, which have no direct link to their parent objects and can't be
electronically verified because of the lack of tracking information.

>the advange is that it would not matter who's modeler or who's drafting
>package we use.  as long as they work within the unix philosiphy.
>"each tool does one thing" and they all work together.
>
>i could use a opencascade based modeler built with TK/TCL to model my 3D and
>pythoncad or qcad to detail it.  those that want their 3D managed by a
>database could do that then export the scenes for detailing.

Again, say no to exports.  Whenever you perform an export operation from one
package to the other, you destroy any intelligence that the data may have had
and you lose the ability to update / audit the data.

Detailing would be possible within the context of complicated parametric data
if only the simpler 2D drafting programs were capable of interfacing (even in
read-only mode) with the native, intelligent data.  This is one of the
biggest hurdles to electronic collaboration in engineering.

Instead of spending time marking-up 2D data with dimensions and notes to
communicate with other members of the design team or fabricators, we should
be spending time designing a buildable system and just let the software
handle the communication.

--Eric
--
"Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value."
                                        --Murphy's Constant