[cad-linux] Re: .dxf or .dwg?

  • From: Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 21 Aug 2003 14:56:36 +0100

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 14:02, Sagar Behere wrote:
[snip]
> I saw the opendwg.org alliance and saw that they have
> some libraries that are designed to work with the .dwg
> format...however, linux is not mentioned in the OS
> platforms. Has anyone successfully used these
> libraries with linux?

Yes we're using them with Linux
http://lx-viewer.sourceforge.net

However.... The OpenDWG license isn't what you want to be using if
you're trying to make a 100% GPL program. Your program gets lots of
unfavourable conditions for redistribution imposed on it if you use the
OpenDWG libraries. E.g. You won't get included in any Linux
distributions.

I would use one of the free DXF libs. You could always add DWG later if
a 100% free lib appears.

Guy