[cad-linux] Re: .dxf or .dwg?

  • From: "Lee Harding" <lee.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:36:07 -0700

I'd like to think I'm primarily a mechanical engineer, too (BSME OSU,
MSME PSU).  But after 9 years at a CAD company I think I'm (sadly) more
software than hardware.=20

The reason for using a database, in my option, is to simplify your job.
DXF isn't a very pleasant format to learn from scratch (as others on
this list will attest).  To use Postgres you need only read a chapter or
two in a well-written book (there are many), and then download some free
software and start dinking around.

Once you have the geometry (and later the g-code) in the database, you
can:
        -- back it up
        -- share it via web applications
        -- version it
        -- search it
        -- integrate it with whatever business systems you have

Postgres does more than just store the geometry.  It has operators to
find geometries based on location ("what's near here?"), do intersection
calculations, and some experimental extensions are starting to pop-up
around topology that would make finding "loops" of curves easier.

I'd really recommend reading a book on it, or at least checking out the
online documentation.