[cad-linux] Re: .dxf or .dwg?

  • From: Sagar Behere <sagar_behere@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 05:54:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have worked with the EMC. It just follows the
g-codes fed into it. On the other hand, I was led to
believe that a tool-path is much more than a bunch of
g-codes which describe a drawing...like, I need to add
in additional codes for various types of cut or entry
and exit points and things like that.

Right now, my plan is something like this:

1) Decide whether to use the .dxf or .dwg format.
2) learn more about that format.
3) Find out what libraries are available which can
manipulate/work with the format...example
libdime/dxflib works with .dxf
4) write a program that will take a .dxf/.dwg file as
input and generate a g-code file which describes the
drawing as output.

I'll work with these broad goals and shout out the
problems as they occur. Does this seem like a good way
to go about it?

And regarding the database, this is what I have
understood so far, correct me if i am wrong.

1)A .dxf/.dwg file contains information about the
drawing .
2) This info is stored in the form of something called
entities.
3) I should extract this information and store it into
a database.
4) I should later on add/delete information extracted
from these entities (in the database), and generate
g-codes from them. It is possible to store the g-code
of a related entitiy back into its place in the db.
5) This approach will have many many advantages :-)

That's all for now.

Cheers,
Sagar

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com