[brailleblaster] Re: Why Java

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 19:57:01 -0500

BrailleBlaster is intended as a desktop application. There is no reason
why it couldn't be used on a tablet. It would not be suitable for small
devices, such as phones, because these could not accommmodate the GUI
which is part of its design and a  large part of its appeal. How would
you fit usable braille and print windows on a small screen?

The core libraries of BrailleBlaster are already in C. liblouis and
liblouisutdml will be the braille engine of BrailleBlaster and they can
be used without it via the file2brl command-line interface. They are the
engine; BrailleBlaster is the rest of the car.

Java was picked because of SWT, which has native C libraries that
support the UI requirements of different platforms. wxwidgets is
problematical. I have heard that it really works only for Windows. Java
provides wuicker software development and indeed a great number of
libraries that do things like display MathML.
Microsoft doesn['t provide C at the installation of its operating
systems. With Apple, you have to install the Developer tools to get C. I
think both decided that maintaining their own Java runtimes just wasn't
worth it, because there are so many third-party JREs already available.

I may be wrong on some of this, but I'm hoping we will see some messages
from More Java experts and from other decision-makers.

Yuemei said she is experienced mostly in C and Visual Basic. She did
mention Swing, but not that she had used it a lot. I think straight SWT
is the way to go.

John