[brailleblaster] Re: Why Java

  • From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 01:12:10 -0400

Coco is not c, it's coco. Different languages/syntax.

Almost all phones these days, in the class of device we've been discussing,
have 512mb of ram. I'm not seeing how the 32mb jvm
instance is problematic.

Also, memory usage is not directly proportional to battery life as that memory
needs to be receiving constant voltage anyways, if I
remember how ram works correctly. On the other hand, the power draw from the
processor is a huge deal. We've already discussed ways
in which, in the long run, the processor is doing an equal amount, if not less,
with bytecode runtime optimized languages such as
java.

Take care,
Sina

________________________________

On 2010-11-04, at 9:41 PM, Sina Bahram wrote:

        Let's take iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile 7 into consideration then.

        iOS pretty much requires coco for almost every single API hook; which
means that c won't do you any good, only objective c
which
        uses Apple bindings.

        Android is written in java; thus, java's no problem on there.

        Windows Mobiel 7 prefers .net, namely SilverLight, for all UI related
hooks and functionality; thus, c will do you no good
on there;
        however, I've heard nothing about java being banned from WM7, which
actually means there's potential.

        Now, if we examine the tablet market, the iPad is the only iOS device.
Ok, fine, no java there, at least not easily, but no
straight
        up c either.

        On the other hand there are tens upon tens of android tablets coming
out, all of which will have built-in jvm's ready to go.

        In the windows space, tablets run windows XP or Windows 7, tablet
edition, not windows mobile 7, which means java is no
problem on
        there either.

        Just adding up the pros and cons, in terms of java availability versus
not, I'm getting way more pros in the java column.

        Take care,
        Sina

        ________________________________

        On 2010-11-04, at 6:10 PM, qubit wrote:

        What devices? smart phones?  I think whatever device that supports a
screen reader that is capable of handling the
        interface of brailleblaster (which I'll call bb) should be supported.

        --le

        On 2010-11-04, at 3:45 PM, qubit wrote:

        Perhaps because there are java libraries available that are tempting to
use as a
        base?  As for Apple and Microsoft, the java runtime is not being
supported by them any longer, but third parties may still
develop
        such support to be distributed with java programs.
        Any other things I have missed?
        --le