[brailleblaster] Re: Why Java

  • From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 01:54:38 -0400

Sure, just google for skyfire and iPhone

Here's one of the thousands of articles:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Skyfire-iPhone-iPad-App-Is-Sold-Out-797359/

Take care,
Sina

________________________________

On 2010-11-04, at 10:06 PM, Sina Bahram wrote:

        Actually, please see recent developments on this. They finally relented
which is why flash is now possible on the
iPhone/iPad.

        The translation is done off-device into html5 then sent back.

        Take care,
        Sina

        ________________________________

        On 2010-11-04, at 9:43 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:

        Alex,

        I like the idea of an online version of Brailleblaster, but it willhave
        to wait until the standalone version is finished. Doing both at once
        would just be too much. You can already try an online version (rather
        primitive) of liblouis and liblouisxml at http://www.abilitiessoft.com

        We can build flexibility innto BrailleBlaster from the beginning, so it
        can run on say, the iPad if that seems like a good idea down the road.
        don't see it running on the iPhone, though of course a small app using
        liblouis and liblouisutdml could be developed for that device.

        As a matter of fact, Java can be compiled into machine code by programs
        like gcj for Linux.

        Thanks for the information on Eclipse on the Mac. It looks like the SWT
        version for the Mac needs some work.

        John B.

        On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 09:32:51PM -0700, Alex Jurgensen wrote:

        Hi John,

        About the Mac support, I have found that Eclipse, which is itself
written in SWT is kind of sketchy in its support
        of VoiceOver, the Mac screen reader and has a tendancy to lock up when
it is used with VoiceOver, even on a machine with
relatively
        high specifications.

        I also disagree with embeded devices for embossing.

        Also, since the future of application development and deployment may be
the Apple and Microsoft App Stores, then we
        should look at what kinds of apps are not being allowed in.

        I would also be interested in making on an online version of Braille
Blaster as a portable version. What do you all
        think about that?

        Regards,

        Alex,

        On 2010-11-04, at 9:01 PM, John Gardner wrote:

        Hello Alex, well you have certainly stirred up a lot of questions and
comments.  That?s good, and I have had
        private conversations with several listers to develop a consensus on
whether we should seriously consider changing course as
you
        suggest.  The consensus is ?no?.

        Quick summary is that isn?t necessarily true that C will be faster,
since it really depends on how well it
        is optimized.  Java has many automatic optimizations and can often run
lots faster than C.  It strikes many people that it
really
        doesn?t make sense to time-optimize this program, because it really
runs on (very slow) human time anyhow.  Java is
considerably
        faster to write and debug code, so the price for using C would be
longer development time.  Strike 1.

        BrailleBlaster has always been intended to be a desktop application.
To be useful, it needs to have drivers
        for embossers, and these are available for Windows, some for Macs, and
some for Linux.  It is not very likely that any will
be
        written for an iPhone, iPad, or any other embedded device, so it makes
no sense to write a Braille translator for those
devices
        either.  Strike 2.

        You say that Microsoft and Apple no longer support Java.  To my
knowledge, Microsoft has never supported
        Java per se, but Java has always worked on Windows.  Apple?s Java
support has been, well peculiar at best, so many Java
lovers seem
        pretty happy that Apple has abandoned that support.  There are plenty
of Java run-time aps that work on the Mac, so there
seems to
        be no problem using Java.  Just have to install a JRT whether it?s
Windows or Mac.  Strike 3.

        Thanks for making us examine our assumptions however.  I appreciate
your thoughts.  One should always be
        looking for something better.  C is better for lots of things, but as
far as several of us can tell, not for BrailleBlaster.

        John Gardner

        On 2010-11-04, at 5:57 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:

        BrailleBlaster is intended as a desktop application. There is no reason

        why it couldn't be used on a tablet. It would not be suitable for small

        devices, such as phones, because these could not accommmodate the GUI

        which is part of its design and a  large part of its appeal. How would

        you fit usable braille and print windows on a small screen?

        The core libraries of BrailleBlaster are already in C. liblouis and

        liblouisutdml will be the braille engine of BrailleBlaster and they can

        be used without it via the file2brl command-line interface. They are
the

        engine; BrailleBlaster is the rest of the car.

        Java was picked because of SWT, which has native C libraries that

        support the UI requirements of different platforms. wxwidgets is

        problematical. I have heard that it really works only for Windows. Java

        provides wuicker software development and indeed a great number of

        libraries that do things like display MathML.

        Microsoft doesn['t provide C at the installation of its operating

        systems. With Apple, you have to install the Developer tools to get C.

        think both decided that maintaining their own Java runtimes just wasn't

        worth it, because there are so many third-party JREs already available.

        I may be wrong on some of this, but I'm hoping we will see some
messages

        from More Java experts and from other decision-makers.

        Yuemei said she is experienced mostly in C and Visual Basic. She did

        mention Swing, but not that she had used it a lot. I think straight SWT

        is the way to go.

        John

        On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 05:45:02PM -0500, qubit wrote:

        Perhaps because there are java libraries available that are tempting to
use as a base?  As for Apple and
        Microsoft, the java runtime is not being supported by them any longer,
but third parties may still develop such support to
be
        distributed with java programs.

        Any other things I have missed?

        --le