[brailleblaster] Why Java

  • From: Alex Jurgensen <asquared21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 12:25:44 -0700

Hi All,

I mention this now, at the relative beginning of the project, so as to avoid
unnecessary work.

Why are we using Java and not writing most of the code in C, with a true,
native UI on top, such as WX-Widgets for C. Because the code would not need to
be exicuted in a virtual machine, we would avoid many of the slowdowns
associated with Java.

We must also think about embeded devices, where the overhead of Java is either
too much for hte battery to tolleratte acceptably or there is no Java Virtual
Machine available.

Furthermore, both Microsoft and Apple have dropped support for Java within
their Operating Systems, it doesn't seem to make sense to continue coding in
Java because we may one day soon need to rewrite all of our code to aadapt to a
whole new class of machines that don't have Java Available.

I feel that if we write the core of our code into C libraries, we should be
able to bring about new UI's, such as a Cocoatouch UI for IOS devices, OR an QT
UI for Nokea and Intel's new project.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
Alex,