[brailleblaster] Latest News

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 19:42:21 -0500

I have decided to use xom for reading and writing Daisy and UTDML files.
Thanks to Susan for pointing it out. It has a lot of advantages over
JDOM. It even has good documentation and a tutorial.

The source for the latest BrailleBlaster is in the repository. It has
two StyledText widgets side-by-side in a FormsLayout, with the Shell as
their parent. This works very nicely, with some exceptions, of which
more later.

There is a problem in getting these two views to scroll synchronously.
The statement

ScrollBar vBrailleScroll = braille.view.getVerticalBar();

comiles without error but produces a NullPointer exception at runtime.
It is therefore impossible to put a listener on the scrollbars.

I have decided to postpone implementing scrolling until this problem can
be resolved.

Susan and I experimented wiht putting the StyledText widgets inside a
Composite, and this inside a ScrolledComposite. However, thie rather
"Byzantine" approach is very difficult to get working, it is probably
buggy, and it will probably cause problems down the road.

The present setup handles editing very nicely. It is also mostly
accessible, but has some quirks that can probably be solved with the SWT
accessibility package. Among them, read pervious character, read next
character, read previous/next line, do not work consistently.

Work on the files for making Windows binaries for liblouis.dll
liblouis.lib liblouisutdml.dll and liblouisutdml.lib is moving ahead
rather slowly. There is a problem with linking liblouis.dll that I hope
someone on the liblouis-liblouisxml list can solve.

John B.