[brailleblaster] Re: Latest News

  • From: Chris von See <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 10:10:10 -0700

Hi John -

I think that any time a text line exceeds the line length for the required braille paper size you will need to create and display multiple braille lines for that text line. Otherwise, you get into a mess where you have to break each text line into whatever number of characters will fit on a braille line based on the page size and braille grade, not based on the display and font sizes, and you'll need to re-size every line in the file any time the user changes braille grade or paper, or any time a text line is forced to exceed the maximum due to user input.

If a user inserts braille text into a line that does not exist in the text file (a transcriber's note, for example) it's quite possible that that text will be more than one braille line.

Cheers
Chris

On Jun 6, 2011, at 9:51 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:

Chris,

You have some good points. See my reply to the previous message for some
clarification.

Inserting blank lines to keep the two views synchronized will cause
extra complications and will probably generate bugs and user
dissatisfaction. It would be much better to enable the user to unlock
scrolling, then lock it again. This is actually simpler than dealing
with blank lines that are inserted just to keep the two views lined up.

As I stated, After translation the Daisy view will show the print
corresponding to each line of Braille. It will not show multiple braille
lines for a print line. Word wrap should be turned on. That is what
people expect. They also expect to be able to turn it off. We will have
to give them a means for doing so. This will not be hard.

John B.

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 09:26:16AM -0700, Chris von See wrote:
Hi John G -

Thanks for your comments.

I didn't realize that word wrap would be turned off on translated
content.  I'm not a transcriber, but I would think that requiring a
user to scroll horizontally in order to see the entire braille line
would be very inconvenient - it's certainly a pain in a normal text
editor. This situation may happen fairly often - even if the user has their braille font sized to a more "normal" size - since braille cells
are so much wider than their text counterparts, and especially if the
user is translating to grade 1 braille.

If a user adds additional lines solely for the purpose of keeping
views synchronized, what happens to those lines when a user embosses?
How does the tool distinguish a blank line that was added for visual
reasons from a blank line added because of braille formatting rules?

I think there is at least one case where turning off synchronized
scrolling (or allowing for some sort of re-synchronization) would be
appropriate - to allow a transcriber to insert content (braille or
text) that exceeds the visible size of the StyledText control. If I'm adding braille preliminary pages, for example, that content may or may
not appear in the text but will almost certainly exceed the size of
the braille control's visible area (p-pages can run anywhere from five
to 100 braille pages depending on the book).

Cheers
Chris

On Jun 6, 2011, at 8:54 AM, John Gardner wrote:

Hi Chris.  Below I put my interpretations of what the specs are or
maybe
what they are supposed to be.
John G