[brailleblaster] Re: Latest News

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 11:41:55 -0500

Here are my responses to the messages from Susan and John G.

The only reason for putting the StyledText widgets inside a Composite,
inside a ScrolledComposite is the runtime error if we try to get the
StyledText scrollbars. This can probably be solved. I prefer the much
simples approach of putting the StyledText widgets directly on the
Shell, where they work naturally. From experience, I distrust the more
complex approach. KISS.
John G, the braille is not line-by-line with the print. Rather, after
translation the Daisy view shows the print corresponding to each line of
braille. This is what we developed UTDML for. If the braille is in Grade
2 the corresponding print might be too long to fit in the Daisy view, so
it would be cut off at the right edge. The user will want the option to
scroll the Daisy view right without affecting the braille view.

The user will also want to disengage synchronous scrolling if she is
adding a lot to one of the views, then scroll the other view until the
print and braille again match up, then lock the views so they scroll
together again. That is certainly what I would want, and what I think
transcribers would want. If they don't get what they want they may just
KISS BrailleBlaster goodbye.

Being able to unlock and relock scrolling is not a difficult
implementation problem. We will need a menu item and hotkey for it. This
is not in the spec, but I think the spec should evolve as we gain more
design experience. users will bless us.

John B.