[bookshare-discuss] Re: Lists by Category

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:03:45 -0400

I don't see the point in using the Duey Decimal system for an online
library.  For a normal library with hard copy books, I believe it is
essential to assist in the quick recovery of material, but you don't look
up a book by its Duey Decimal number.  You look it up by author, title,
category, etc., jot down the DD number, and then track it down with
that.  On Bookshare, we find books that interest us in the same manner, but
then we click on the link.  Whatever filing system that Bookshare uses to
find the book for us is relatively unimportant to us the end users.  The
improvements need to come in making that original find, so we can easily
find books of interest here rather than finding them elsewhere first and
then looking here.  I.e. the long awaited better categories, and a more
elaborate search tool.

Dave