[bookshare-discuss] Re: Bookshare's Purpose in Your Eyes

  • From: "Gerald Mackowiak" <gmackowiak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:09:17 -0700

Am I just weird, or completely out of touch.  So many times I've heard
people on this list refer to the subscription cost of Bookshare as though it
is prohibitively expensive.  $50 even with a $25 one time set up fee, seems
a small price to pay.  It is possible to reduce or eliminate the cost
entirely by scanning or validating books.  I understand that many are on
fixed incomes, but c'mon, really, I was a starving student at one time too.
I spent money on books, and still managed to go out for a beer or two on
occasion.  One night out these days with a date will cover the bookshare
cost.  How much does a magazine subscription cost these days?  What do you
pay for a music CD?  How about the cell phone you carry, or the cable you
subscribe to?  Costs are a matter of priority.

Since I'm an old fogey, I have been grandfathered into RFB&D without having
to pay a membership fee.  Don't they charge one now?  I really think the
cost of Bookshare is very minimal.

It also helps in that it might weed out people who are not really serious,
or who would abuse the site.

Maybe I'm just an old crab.