[bookshare-discuss] Re: Grocery Store Customer Service

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 19:33:18 -0400

Hi, Linda. Your question is a good one. When I lived alone, I had similar experiences to yours. I have gotten consistently better service from my local Kroger and Public's than Safeway or Wal-Mart. Amazon has an online grocery store, and I often use it for nonperishable things. I buy some things in bulk so that I save money long-term. The downside of shopping online is that it does take some planning, and you'd need enough storage space for what you buy. Having a senior citizen volunteer is often good for both them and us because though they are older people, they still like to feel useful, just as we do. Also, seniors are often still active and do a lot more than our grandmothers used to be able to do. Retired people I have worked with have told me that they enjoy helping someone else and that it can seem lonely at home without something to do. Your local Lions Club, JCs, and Rotarians are good places to find reliable help. You can often find help through the women's ministry of a local church too. If you buy some of your nonperishable food online, a volunteer could help you with getting foods that have to be bought locally. In addition, some grocery stores deliver, and that could be a great way to get your perishable groceries. Finally, if your store allows this, try faxing them a shopping list during a slow time in the store. A store employee could gather your groceries for you, and the written fax might help them understand what you want. It works with some stores and fails with others. With this technique, I've had better luck with Public's than any other chain. Hope this helps you out.

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today!" Will Rogers
Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx