[bookport] Re: bookport skipping

  • From: David Nash <davidn8109@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:15:00 -0600

Brian,

I finally got a chance to try those files on the Bookport. Here's what happened.

The NPR radio show file played without any major disruptions -- no clicking or hiss. I downloaded 3 versions of Wuthering Heights -- text, daisy and brf from bookshare.org, but unfortunately none of them played at all -- the Bookport said something about can't access indexed files - plus some mp3's I bought from iTunes Store played but with a lot of distortion. And I put the radio show and book files in their own folder, so it's not that there were too many files on the root.

Any ideas on what to try next?

dave

On Nov 10, 2007, at 12:05 AM, Brian Buhrow wrote:

Hello. The zip file contains an mp3._DD and mp3._IX file. While it's possible to play mp3 files without indexing on the Bookport, what I was aiming at was to test whether or not the Bookport was follwoing the index files properly. When you said CD in your previous message, I assumed the data was recorded audio, rather than synthetic speech. Is the file on the book that doesn't work a text file, or, rather, is it daisy text or daisy recorded audio? You've just proved, with the test files I pointed you at, that indexed audio works fine. Now, go to http://www.bookshare.org and download a daisy marked up text file. Don't worry if you aren't a member
of bookshare.org, they have some public domain files you can use for
testing.  Download this and use the transfer tool to put them on the
Bookport. If it skips, let me know, and I'll give you another zip file containing text wich is indexed for the Bookport, but not by the transfer
utility.
        In any case, it looks more like the problem is the transfer utility
not the Bookport. That's good news because it means you can probably fix
things by uninstalling and reinstalling the transfer utility on the pc
which you use to put books on the Bookport. It also means you don't need
to send things in for repair.
        Note that if a daisy book from bookshare.org works fine, but your cd
doesn't, it's a bug in the Book Wizard Reader program, and you should work with Pamela to figure out how to get APH to look at it and get a fix into
the transfer tool or into book wizard Reader.
        I hope this makes sense.
-Brian
On Nov 9,  9:34pm, David Nash wrote:
} Subject: [bookport] Re: bookport skipping
} Hey Brian--
}
} Thanks for your quick response. When you say, "browse to the file in
} question," do you mean the unzipped file I just downloaded? I'm
} confused because I noticed these files are mp3's and these play fine
} on her bookport.
}
} Sorry if I sound a little dense, but I can be that way sometimes.
}
} Thanks again.
}
} dave
}
}
}
} On Nov 9, 2007, at 8:59 PM, Brian Buhrow wrote:
}
} > Hello. This sounds like a transfer utility error to me. If you can
} > download largeish files from the web, you can definitively prove
} > whether
} > it's the transfer tool or the Bookport.  Brows to
} > http://www.via.net/~buhrow/gwunder
} > and grab any of the zip files there.  Unzip the contents into a
} > directory
} > on a Bookport flash card, don't use the transfer utility, copy the
} > zip
} > files directly to the card, preferably using an external card
} > reader.  Then,
} > put the card in her Bookport.  Browse to the file in question,
} > you'll know
} > that you did it right if it tells you a long title, including the
} > day and
} > ate of the file you picked.  Next, press play.  If it plays, and
} > there's no
} > skipping, then it's the transfer tool.  If it skips, then the
} > Bookport is
} > to blame.
} >
} > Hope that helps.
} > -Brian
} >
} > On Nov 9,  8:48pm, David Nash wrote:
} > } Subject: [bookport] Re: bookport skipping
} > } I just got back from my friend's and we tried some trouble shooting } > } on her bookport. Plus she gave me new info about what's going on.
} > } Here it is.
} > }
} > } First we tried Brian's suggestion of testing whether the problem
} > } occurs on a different card. It does. That takes the card off the
} > list
} > } of potential culprits.
} > }
} > } Next, she told me that she has played the original CD on her Victor
} > } Reader Vibe, and everything plays perfectly. So it's not the CD.
} > }
} > } This behavior occurs on every (four or five) daisy book we've put on
} > } her Bookport. And all of these discs play fine on her Vibe.
} > }
} > } We even tried transferring another daisy book onto her bookport.
} > This
} > } exhibited the same problem as well.
} > }
} > } That leaves just 2 possibilities. One is the transferring of the
} > } files via the transfer software. Another is the bookport itself.
} > }
} > } Are there any settings in the transfer software that might cause
} > this
} > } problem? I looked through the options stuff but nothing stood out to
} > } me as being the possible culprit.
} > }
} > } Are there any settings on the bookport that might cause this
} > problem?
} > } Remember, this problem only shows up with daisy files.
} > }
} > } We also discovered that it only skips forward and for a very short } > } amount at a time. Usually it's just for a split-second, so that it } > } sounds like a stutter. At the longest is skips for a few words. Also } > } on some books there is a clicking in the background and occasionally } > } there's a hissing audible too. I don't know if this means anything } > } though. Again, when we play these discs on her Vibe this skipping,
} > } clicking and hissing are not present.
} > }
} > } If we can't figure this out soon, we'll have to send it in for
} > } repairs. Now whether the technicians will be able to figure out
} > } what's going on is another question. It may prove a waste of time
} > and
} > } money.
} > }
} > } Any help is appreciated.
} > }
} > } dave
} > }
} > }
} > }
} > }
} > }
} > }
} > }
} > } On Nov 9, 2007, at 11:57 AM, Brian Buhrow wrote:
} > }
} > } >   Hello.  Do you have a second flash card you can use in her
} > Bookport?
} > } > If so, could you try transfering the same book to that card and
} > see
} > } > if the
} > } > behavior is the same?  My thought is that you might have a bad
} > spot
} > } > on the
} > } > flash card, and that could potentially cause this weird behavior.
} > } > Trying a
} > } > second card will rule out a flash card problem. Note that I'm not
} > } > asking
} > } > you to reformat your original card, though you could try that.
} > } > And,if it
} > } > turns out that the book works fine in the second card,
} > reformatting
} > } > the
} > } > original card might fix it there as well.
} > } > -Brian
} > }
} > }
} > }
} > } > On Nov 9, 11:46am, David Nash wrote:
} > } > } Subject: [bookport] bookport skipping
} > } > } A friend of mine recently got a Bookport, which has been
} > } > exhibiting a
} > } > } seemingly bizarre behavior. While playing a daisy book she
} > got from
} > } > } rfb&d her bookport occasionally (every few seconds or couple of
} > } > } minutes at the most) skips forward or backward in the file.
} > She can
} > previously
} > } > } skipped over fine, but then at some point it skips again. It
} > appears
} > } > } to be totally random when it does this. And it only seems to
} > do this
} > } > } on daisy files.
} > } > }
} > } > } My first thought was that maybe the transfer went screwy in some
} > } > way,
} > } > } so I deleted the book and re-transfered the book in the transfer
} > } > } software (I selected the ncc.html file and hit send).
} > Unfortunately
} > } > } that didn't clear up the problem. And I'm not sure how much
} > material
} > } > } is skipped over when it does this, but I don't think it's much,
} > } > } perhaps just a few lines.
} > } > }
} > } > } I don't know if the problem lies in the transferring part or the
} > } > } reading part. Or something completely different. If you know
} > of a
} > } > } setting on the Bookport, please let me know of it.
} > } > }
} > } > } Oh, I put each book in its own folder, so it's not that there
} > are
} > } > too
} > } > } many files on the root, or any folder for that matter.
} > } > }
} > } > } Please help!
} > } > }
} > } > } dave
} > } > }
} > } >> -- End of excerpt from David Nash
} > } >
} > } >
} > } >
} > }