[bookport] Re: bookport skipping

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:30:32 -0500

Dave:

Are all of these files from the same book?  Have you tried other Daisy books
that use audio?  In the past, I have heard of files not playing properly if the
file has some data noise in it--it would cause the Book Port to shut off.  So,
in this case, it could just be skipping.  Data noise in a file is very hard to
detect and often they will play fine on a PC, but you might hear some popping
while listening on other devices.  This is a good way to tell.

Otherwise, I don't know what it could be.

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> davidn8109@xxxxxxxxxxx 11/09/07 09:48PM >>>
I just got back from my friend's and we tried some trouble shooting
on her bookport. Plus she gave me new info about what's going on.
Here it is.

First we tried Brian's suggestion of testing whether the problem
occurs on a different card. It does. That takes the card off the list
of potential culprits.

Next, she told me that she has played the original CD on her Victor
Reader Vibe, and everything plays perfectly. So it's not the CD.

This behavior occurs on every (four or five) daisy book we've put on
her Bookport. And all of these discs play fine on her Vibe.

We even tried transferring another daisy book onto her bookport. This
exhibited the same problem as well.

That leaves just 2 possibilities. One is the transferring of the
files via the transfer software. Another is the bookport itself.

Are there any settings in the transfer software that might cause this
problem? I looked through the options stuff but nothing stood out to
me as being the possible culprit.

Are there any settings on the bookport that might cause this problem?
Remember, this problem only shows up with daisy files.

We also discovered that it only skips forward and for a very short
amount at a time. Usually it's just for a split-second, so that it
sounds like a stutter. At the longest is skips for a few words. Also
on some books there is a clicking in the background and occasionally
there's a hissing audible too. I don't know if this means anything
though. Again, when we play these discs on her Vibe this skipping,
clicking and hissing are not present.

If we can't figure this out soon, we'll have to send it in for
repairs. Now whether the technicians will be able to figure out
what's going on is another question. It may prove a waste of time and
money.

Any help is appreciated.

dave