[bookport] Re: battery connection troubles

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 09:48:56 -0400

Tim:

There are a couple of things you can do, besides sending it in for
repair:

1.  Make a habit of always inserting the batteries with the flat end
first.  By doing this, you will avoid putting extra strain and pressure
on the battery contacts and eliminate bending or wearing out the
contacts.  If you put the nub end in first, this will put more pressure
on the springs, causing them to bend, thus causing the connection
problems you're experiencing.  Plus, frequent battery changes can cause
this.

2.  You can straighten the battery contacts, if they do become bent.

Since your unit is still working, then your contacts are probably
slightly bent, but eventually, they will bend to the point of not making
contact at all.  The problem is that as pressure is put on them, they
get smashed further into the side of the case, so there is actually more
room between the battery and the contact, so you don't get a tight
connection.  If they are really bent, they don't connect at all.  You
may need assistance in straightening them, but if careful, it can be
done and thus, avoid having to send it in.  Just be careful not to break
them.

And, yes, before we even have to go there, this is why the Book Port 2
will use a different battery design and different contacts.

Sincerely,

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 06/07/07 09:24AM >>>
Hi All,

Some time ago I read on the list that the weakest point of the current
book
port was that the battern connectors sometimes give trouble.  Well, I
thought, "I hope that never happens to me."  Well, recently, the book
port
has been losing power.  I have had to remove the battery cover and move
the
batteries back and forth or sometimes replacing them, meaning taking
the
same ones out and putting them back in again.  My concern about
returning
the BP to APH is that they could do something that helps for a while,
but if
this is a chronic problem, what's to keep it from happening six months

later?  I certainly can't afford to pay a repair bill every 3 6 or 12
months
just to fix a chronic problem that may be a fault in the original
manufacture of the product.  Perhaps the manufacturer, I know it was
not
APH, should have made a better, more tight, battery well to begin with.
 Has
anyone figured out a way to solve this chronic problem.  I thought that
Phil
especially might have a suggestion since he is a handyman.  I know this
is
off-topic, but he's got a great program called the Blind Handyman on
ACBradio that is well worth a listen.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone has.  And I certainly know that
returning
the unit to APH is an option.
Tim
 the