[bookport] Re: Perhaps off topic, but new bookport?

  • From: "Angie Matney" <angie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 07:53:32 -0400

Hi,

I believe all software updates for the Stream will be free as well. HumanWare
Canada (formerly Visuaid) made a tradition of doing this for their customers,
and they've kept it up with Trekker, even after they joined with HumanWare. I
think I saw
mention that the software updates would be free, but I'm not 100% certain. If
someone has different info, I'd be interested to know.

I have the stream, and I love it for reading NLS books, but the navigation and
file structure are much better on the BP.

Re: APH prematurely releasing info about the new BP: Yes, it's really too bad.
But that seems to be the norm with access technology these days. Even the
Stream was delayed from when it was initially supposed to be released. And when
I started
law school, I finally had to give up and get a different braille display after
waiting six months for the Optelec BC640 to be released.

Still, if the new BP ever does see the light of day, I'll be the first to grab
one. The Stream is nice, but as I said, navigation and file structure are
clunky. I love the organization of the BP, and I appreciate the time and
consideration it took to design
such an interface.

Angie

--Original Message Text---
From: Rick Harmon
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 07:59:39 -0400

How long do you suggest someone wait?  The BP 2 is long over due.  I really
like the updates too but I'm not going to wait into next year for a BP 2 if
there is a very good alternative out there already.
I'm very disappointed that the BP 2 was touted as such a great replacement to
the original and now it's months past due and on hold for who knows how long.
In my humble opinion APH  has made a
huge mistake in prematurely announcing the BP 2 and wetting everyone's
appetites for it and then delaying it.  My plans are at this point to buy a
stream unless APH gets the BP out pretty soon.

Rick

--
Visit my webpage and podcast feed at:
http://www.blind-geek-zone.net