[bookport] Re: Book Port 2

  • From: "Harvey White" <harveywhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 18:36:29 -0000

I've been a Book Port user for only six months, and believed that any
feedback from me would be of no importance in the design of Book Port 2. Now
that it seems clear that Book Port 2 is nowhere near final spec, let alone
shipping, I have decided to share my reflections in the hope of influencing
the final outcome of the updated machine.

In almost every respect, I approve of the Book Port I am now using. My only
misgiving, and it has been well aired on this list in the past, is the
treatment of common abbreviations such as Dr. and St. Nowadays I remedy this
fault by subjecting the text file to the Find and Replace function on my PC.
By instructing the PC to replace Dr. by the word Doctor, and St. by the word
Saint, the text is immediately made acceptable. It takes only seconds.

I would be disappointed if BP2 has rechargeable batteries! I'm fed up with
rechargeables: they don't last long enough and they are untidy - all those
cables and transformers sticking out of the wall! I like the fact that I can
go off on holiday with two or even four spare small batteries in my pocket
and have enough power in reserve to read my way round the world wihtout
worrying about compatible power supplies.

I prefer Compact flash cards to SD cards because they are a great deal
easier to handle. I find SD cards fiddly, and easily dropped; and there's no
room on them for a label!

So, my advice to APH is, if it ain't bust, don't fix it. Just start making
the spares again.

Harvey White.