[blind-democracy] Re: Republican Assault on Trump May Only Make Him Stronger

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 18:03:33 -0400

I should have posted the tiny article on Chomsky's view of Sanders which is
that his role is a positive one in that he is educating the public about
economic issues and moving the Democratic Party slightly to the left on
those issues and that, of course, he won't win the nomination. And that if
he won, he would not be permitted to make meaningful change. Chomsky really
sounded like you, and me. But when we talk about pushing people to the
left, what that really means is we get them to say what we want them to say.
They say it so we will vote for them. But the point is, and it was my point
in 2012 and it was your point in your last post, that electing one of the
Republicans as President, would be a complete and utter disaster. Reagan
caused terrible changes in our political and economic system which have
never gone away. True, Clinton did bad things, but they were enabled by
Reagan's changes. And it was Bush who got us into Iraq, the War on Terror,
and everything that followed. Obama walked into a situation that was
pre-ordained. With the gerymandering, we may continue to have Republican
majorities in the House and Senate, and if we have a Republican
administration, medicare and social security really will be privatized.
Medicaid and abortion truly will be ended. Federal programs will be
demolished. And we'll be declaring war on Iran, Syria, and perhaps, soon
enough, Russia.