[bksvol-discuss] Re: italics

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:19:40 -0700

Hi Devorah,

I think the preference is to keep italics. I don't know whether the brf files retain them, but know that the daisy files will. I'd keep them, if you can. Just my opinion.

Peace,
Mayrie

At 09:58 AM 4/11/2008, you wrote:
I have a question about italics. I have found that in some scanned books I get to validate the words in the printed version that were in italics have been un-italicized by the time they get to me for validation. This next book I'm validating has a lot of words in italics. For example:

The term bayyina (decisive proof) which, as used for a miracle, we discussed in Chapter IV, is also used in the Qur'an to mean the Revelatory Spirit

This book is about Islam and so has a lot of words, like in the sentence above, that aren't in English. Is it Booksharian policy to leave or remove italics? I guess I'm asking how Daisy and Braillers handle italics?

Thanks,
Devorah
I'm looking forward to validating this classic book in the field of Islamic studies: MAJOR THEMES OF THE QUR'AN
by Fazlur Rahman
Professor of Islamic Thought University of Chicago