[bksvol-discuss] Re: italics

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 23:08:00 -0700 (PDT)

To a sighted reader it does indicate emphasis or, in the case of personal
letters written, or notes written from one person to another,it makes it more
realistic, if one can say that--and sometimes, as in Penduli, which I just
finished validating, it indicates a person's thoughts vis-a-vis what he/she is
saying.

I can't think offhand of all the used to which italics are used--I think those
are the main ones. Sometimes newspaper articles within a story are given in
italics, but I don't think that's essential; it would probably be just as clear
to a sighted reader if it were indented and in quotation marks.

I assume when I validate that Jaws or Daisy or whatever is audio--I still don't
have the various technologies straight in my mind, though it was explained
once--emphasizes the italics in speech, or somehow reads it differently, though
you just said that JAWS didn't, so I must be confused. And I thought someone
posted  that braille differentiates italics, but that wasn't your question.
smile

G.Cindy

AVAILABLE AT
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/