[bksvol-discuss] italics

  • From: "Devorah Greenstein" <DGreenstein@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:58:05 -0400

I have a question about italics. I have found that in some scanned books
I get to validate the words in the printed version that were in italics
have been un-italicized by the time they get to me for validation. This
next book I'm validating has a lot of words in italics. For example:

The term bayyina (decisive proof) which, as used for a miracle, we
discussed in Chapter IV, is also used in the Qur'an to mean the
Revelatory Spirit

This book is about Islam and so has a lot of words, like in the sentence
above, that aren't in English. Is it Booksharian policy to leave or
remove italics? I guess I'm asking how Daisy and Braillers handle
italics?

Thanks,

Devorah

I'm looking forward to validating this classic book in the field of
Islamic studies: MAJOR THEMES OF THE QUR'AN

by Fazlur Rahman

Professor of Islamic Thought University of Chicago