[bksvol-discuss] Re: italics

  • From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 22:29:37 -0700

Thank you but that's not the problem or the question. I have sighted help and have copied the sentence. My question is, this is going to make a real change in the print copy so the sighted reader (dyslexic etc.) will miss the way it looks in the book entirely. This is why I am asking how others are dealing with this issue. But thanks again for your offer. You know I won't hesitate to ask you for help when I need it; you are always so generous. Jill ----- Original Message ----- From: "Grandma Cindy" <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Jill O'Connell <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] italics
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 3:55 PM
I have been following the discussion on the list about
making italics but
have done nothing about it so far; this is partly because
Kurzweil does such
a good job reading them and although it would be nice, I
didn't think it was
all that important making the italics available in braille
since they
wouldn't be shown in the speech version either.  Now,
however, I am
confronted with an example that Kurzweil can't read and
it's fairly long. I
can retype it but, of course, the effect will be lost for
the sighted
reader. I would really welcome being told what others are
doing in similar
situations. I think it is virtually impossible to
accommodate the three
readinggroups who use Bookshare. I wonder how  the staff
doing scanning
would handle this situation. Any comments would be welcome.
Jill

line.  To get a list of available commands, put the word
'help' by itself in the subject line.