[bksvol-discuss] Re: The Case of The Perjured Parrot?

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 23:22:02 -0800 (PST)

For what it is worth, and I realize this will probably need not be popular with
some volunteers, I was all for allowing them to be submitted, but with the
designation of good or fair and notes in the synopses about the fact that it is
simply because they are missing page breaks and pagination. I would venture to
guess that more than 50% of people listen to their books, and it would be very
readable for that. However, I would want it noted for people who read print or
braille and also so that volunteers who would want to improve them or repair
them would know what was needed. The two books we did were very good scans
excepting those highly prominent issues. In fiction, however, they aren't as
necessary as in nonfiction. We have many, many more books in the collection
that
are in far worse shape than Russ's scans, and the Perry Mason series would be a
very popular addition. Although we did not realize there were so many at the
time, Vivian, ourselves, and Cindy were all willing to donate time in between
other projects to take on these books. Yes, it does eliminate blind volunteers
from working on them, but it was still a way to get otherwise good scans and
books into the collection.

Have a great weekend everyone!
 Valerie

www.caringbridge.org/visit/nicholemaples