[bksvol-discuss] Re: The Case of The Perjured Parrot?

  • From: "Russ Kiehne" <russ94577@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 07:05:19 -0800

I see the victor reader stream victor reader stratus and plextalk ptn2 have Skippable elements. I have a stream and haven't tried this to see if it will skip the page numbers.

-----Original Message----- From: Dasha Radford
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2013 9:09 AM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: The Case of The Perjured Parrot?

I quite agree. Professional narrators don't read page numbers in books. If we have to put page numbers in give us auditory people a way to skip them while reading. Something like what aph has done in the new book port DT by giving us users a built-in skip list. Can we make that work in book share's read2go app?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 5, 2013, at 10:41 AM, "Russ Kiehne" <russ94577@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Personally, I feel it's a better read without the page numbers.

-----Original Message----- From: Valerie Maples
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 11:22 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

For what it is worth, and I realize this will probably need not be popular with some volunteers, I was all for allowing them to be submitted, but with the designation of good or fair and notes in the synopses about the fact that it is simply because they are missing page breaks and pagination. I would venture to guess that more than 50% of people listen to their books, and it would be very readable for that. However, I would want it noted for people who read print or braille and also so that volunteers who would want to improve them or repair them would know what was needed. The two books we did were very good scans excepting those highly prominent issues. In fiction, however, they aren't as necessary as in nonfiction. We have many, many more books in the collection that are in far worse shape than Russ's scans, and the Perry Mason series would be a very popular addition. Although we did not realize there were so many at the time, Vivian, ourselves, and Cindy were all willi
ng to donate time in between other projects to take on these books. Yes, it does eliminate blind volunteers from working on them, but it was still a way to get otherwise good scans and books into the collection.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Valerie

www.caringbridge.org/visit/nicholemaples