[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about Kurzweil and fonts

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 15:48:48 -0400

Hi Bob. Yes, you're right. You can improve navigation in the way you've
described. If a person is using a daisy player that supports chapter
navigation, they can quickly move to a chapter or short story in a book with
just a couple of key presses. With our old system, you had to look at the
table of contents, (if there was one that was legible), find the page number
for the chapter or story, and then make an educated guess at finding the
right page.

By the way, according to Lisa, Bookshare is going to improve the navigation
in our older books, books added before the new site launched, so people will
be able to navigate the older books more easily. That's going to take some
time and attention to detail since some of our older books don't even have
page breaks. Bookshare didn't require page breaks until late 2004, and they
took plain text files until the middle of 2006. Making these books easier to
navigate will take some creative and dedicated programming.

Monica Willyard