[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about Kurzweil and fonts

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 09:51:03 -0400

Reggie, it's not required. It's just one method to alert the Bookshare
stripper tool that there is a chapter heading. It's one method among
several. You could just as easily put a page number and then a blank line
above your chapter heading. Or, if the line contains the word chapter, as in
the phrase "chapter seventeen," the stripper won't remove it. I find it
easier to do the fonts on the computer either before or after proofreading
with the Pac Mate, but the Pac Mate can adjust fonts pretty easily too. What
model is your Pac Mate? If we have the same model, I'll show you how to do
it in case you want to try it. It's not required though, so it's up to you.

I do the fonts now both because I figure sighted users will appreciate the
visual cue that a new chapter is starting and because I know the stripper
will recognize the change. That's a personal choice though, not a Bookshare
requirement. We have a lot of partially sighted members and members with
various learning disabilities. After Judy graciously explained fonts to me
last year, I have begun going out of my way to make sure books look ok and
that sighted readers can easily spot chapter headings.

Monica Willyard