[bksvol-discuss] Re: Proofing: Is this correct?

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:20:54 -0600

Hi Reggie,

Echoing what Sue said, you did it right.  I think some confusion has crept
in on the list however because you called the row of three asterisks an
ellipsis.  It isn't an ellipsis.  It's just three asterisks in a row.

An ellipsis is a totally different thing that doesn't have any connection
to the use of three asterisks in bookshare books.  An ellipsis is three
periods in a row, with no separation or spaces between them.  It is used
grammatically by authors in sentences in printed books as if it is a word,
to indicate an intentional omission of words that is being quoted.  It is
also used to show an intentional pause in thought or in speech.

I hope that doesn't make things muddier! smile.

Judy s.