[bksvol-discuss] Re: Proofing: Is this correct?

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 20:53:03 -0500

Okay, let's get our terminology straight. What do you mean when you say change of scenery? Scenery usually refers to the surroundings that something happens in. If we are talking about a play on stage it means the backdrop that may be a painting of an outdoors panorama for example. In the case of a book, if there is a description of what the surroundings might look like that is the scenery. That is completely irrelevant to whether asterisks are used. Now, could you mean change of scene? The scene is simply the place and time that a particular set of actions take place. For example. a scene may be a conversation taking place in someone's house. Then if the action switches to a car driving down the highway then there has been a change of scene. Undoubtedly there is also a change of scenery, but that is only incidental. Changes of scenery are virtually never indicated by anything but a description. A change of scene is most often indicated in other ways because it means that the place and time has shifted. Now, you do not have to worry about a change of scene, per se, either. The most common way an author indicates a change of scene is with a blank line and that is what you have to worry about. If there is a change of scene and there is no blank line then do not insert asterisks. Where you insert the asterisks is when there is a blank line. The reason that we are using three asterisks is because the conversion tools eliminate blank lines and we want a blank line where the author intended there to be a blank line to be retained. Another way that some authors indicate a change of scene is with three asterisks, but that is a bit old fashioned and you do not see it much anymore. I think, though, that is why we chose to insert three asterisks rather than some other symbol to retain those blank lines. The point is, though, that you insert the asterisks when the author has inserted a blank line, not when there is a change of scene. Almost always that will be when there is a change of scene, but not necessarily because if the author came up with some other reason to insert a blank line that would be where you would insert three asterisks too. A change of scenery is completely irrelevant to this, but if for some reason the scenery changed without a change of scene and the author indicated it with a blank line then you would insert three asterisks. I can't say that I have ever seen an author do that, but if one did then that is where three asterisks go.

On 11/30/2012 4:28 PM, Regina Alvarado wrote:

Ug! Confused once again! Maybe this just getting to be too much for me? I just uploaded having put * * * between change of scenery lines. Probably will get it back! Ug. Someday maybe I will understand, but have a headache right now so will not worry about this book until it comes back! Is it supposed to be like this?

Line of text

. . .

Line of text

The utterly confused, hurting and tired one