[bksvol-discuss] Re: Learning to Scan Books

  • From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 22:15:47 -0500

You need no additional documents to teach you how to scan except, perhaps, a compendium of tips from, I think, Kelly Pierce of all people. You have to understand only a couple of things:
Scanning isn't a science, it's an art. You have to play around with your brightness level somewhat. It will be slightly different with each scanner and each book. The optimization feature will help you zero in on where your sweet spops will be.

2. Leave the lid up and try to align your book to either top or right side of the platten. The Fine engine likes portrait slightly more than landscape. Portrait has the top at the back of the scanner. With the book squared off, hold the sucker down, but try not to smash the glass. You cannot control positioning any near as well with the lid as you can with your hand.

3. I would avoid keeping auto-corrections on when your book has slangor dialects. It will make a hash of what you have unless you know where the corrections temp file is stored and read through it.

4.  Make sure you're on the K1000 list.
Good luck.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Pietruk" <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>