[bksvol-discuss] Re: Formatting Tabs or Spaces

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 20:04:51 -0500

Hi Lissi,
    Here's a look at what BookShare tries to do.

    It attempts to identify paragraphs, and digitally marks them as such. The
power of DAISY comes into play because the DAISY book knows what a paragraph
is. In theory, software programs from that point on should display the
paragraphs how the user wants. For example you may wish to have a blank line
denote paragraphs, whereas others may want to have an indent. For some users, a
larger indent might be nice and so they can use that.

    Keep in mind that sometimes OCR software misjudges how many blank spaces
should be in a given place. More often than not it's clearer to the reader if
they are presented in a uniform fassion.

    Now, the fact that Tabs are eaten...right, they should at minimum be
replaced with a space. And multiple spaces probably should be kept as well. But
unfortunately, with automated systems, reproducing each and every book exactly
as it appears in print is a practical impossibility.

HTH,
Jake