[bksvol-discuss] Re: Daisy page numbers

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:23:43 -0500

Mike,

The Stripper doesn't create a set of files for the DAISY Player that you
keep referring to plus another set for K-1000.  It only creates one set of
DAISY files which are accessed by Victor Reader Soft, K-1000, OpenBook, and
any other software packages that handle DAISY files.  Since K-1000 opens the
same DAISY files as Victor Readers Soft, then K-1000 has access to the page
numbers.  It just doesn't display them.  I don't have the message, but I
remember Stephen Baum telling the list earlier this year that there is a way
to determine the page number in K-1000.  I'm not sure, but I think he said
you would see the page numbers in the list of headings.

BTW, as Jake said, I don't believe the Chafee amendment permits distribution
of what you're calling raw files.  There's a minimum amount of processing
required to meet Chafee.  I don't believe it mandates distribution in DAISY,
which would mean that a file could be generated prior to the step of
converting page numbers into DAISY tags.  Then again, I haven't read the
actual Chafee amendment to know precisely what it does require.  I do know
it requires books to be distributed in specialized formats, though, in order
to help protect the rights of copyright holders.

Also, when you make a statement like "Given the nature of how Bookshare
books are received, attempting to strip
them the way the stripper works is a recipe for disaster", then what you're
implying is that attempting to conform to a NISO standard is a recipe for
disaster.  Also, Benetech isn't alone in supporting this NISO standard.
Looking through the DAISY organization's members and friends, its supporters
include RFB&D, AFB, APH, Braille Institute of America, Center on Applied
Special Technologies, the Educational Testing Service, NLS, Duxbury, IRTI,
Kurzweil, Microsoft, and Springer, as well as other companies and
organizations in at least 30 countries.

From your complaints, your main problem with the Stripper is the lack of
page numbers, and, as I've mentioned above, your actual problem with
displaying page numbers isn't due to the Stripper, it's due to K-1000.

I realize that page numbers isn't your only complaint with the Stripper.
The Stripper does strip chapter headings sometimes as well.  Jim Fruchterman
did mention something in one of his messages that Bookshare attempted to
process chapter headings with this version of the Stripper, and it's
possible that the missing chapter headings aren't being stripped, but
converted into DAISY tags like with page numbers, and that those particular
tags aren't being displayed as well.

One last thing, in case you didn't notice the recent newsletter, Bookshare
is in the process of upgrading to support NIMAS which means that Bookshare
must support additional navigation and content tagging.  This means that
Bookshare is in the process of upgrading tools, such as the Stripper as part
of their NIMAS effort.  Since NIMAS specifies a standard for K-12 textbooks,
it's quite possible that many of the issues that members have with books are
being addressed with the current upgrades.

Gerald