[bksvol-discuss] Re: Daisy page numbers

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 06:57:41 -0400 (EDT)

Gary

You are right; it is the tools that often likely create some of these
problems.
However, I am also sensing that some validators have grown so gungho or
perhaps fail to understand the role and do far more than is necessary on
some occasions.
And, in doing that, they may inadvertently reduce the value of some of the
books in the collection.
After doing this for a while, you learn the styles of particular
submitters and what their books require and, in many instances, do not
require.
And folks should pay attention to included comments from submitters as to
what might need looking at as you, Gary, have done when submitting your 2
latest titles.
With a tool such as K1000, as an example, I can get a good overview of a
book within minutes and figure out what needs to be done, if anything,
and then make a determination if I want to keep on that particular
validation.
Also, and validators need to remember this, before starting working in
depth on a book, make certain that you are comfortable with the title,
author and copyright info for, if the book gets kicked back, your efforts
will have been for naught.
With scanning software getting better and better, and with submitters as a
group getting more and more proficient,
I am more and more focusing, as a validator, on technical issues such the
2 mentioned above, seeing if I can find and protect page numbers and
chapters, and the like.
And, one can gain a good sense for the scan quality of a book by sampling
a handful of randomly chosen pages which K1000 makes it easy to jump to.