[bksvol-discuss] Re: Changing Misspelled words?

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:17:16 -0500

Hi Gerald,

I don't think the author would win any accuracy prices for research. Did your father catch the other mistake 4 words away?
A Mac is either a hamburger, computer, or a sub machine gun, the truck is a Mack, with a k at the end.

Dave

At 09:59 AM 3/7/2005, you wrote:
Cindy,

So where do you draw the line?  Would you correct the misspelling in the
following paragraph from Ill Wind by Nevada Barr?

Tom drove a real pickup and wore cowboy shirts with the sleeves ripped out.
What would he consider big? Surely not a snubby-nosed little Mitsubishi. To
a construction worker, "big truck" would mean a Kenmore, a Peter-bilt, a
Mac.

Did you even spot it?  If you didn't, then here's a hint.  Sears doesn't
make big trucks, at least not under that brand name.

The word should have been Kenworth.  At least I think that's how the company
spells it's name.

BTW, it's not a mistake by the validator.  That's how it appears in the
paperback.  So would you correct it knowing that Nevada Barr didn't mean for
her construction workers to be driving a home appliance? <grin>

Personally, I would have left it the way it is in the book and wondered if
anyone else would have spotted it.  Just for the record, for those of you
who missed it, I didn't spot it either when I read it.  My father had to
point it out to me.  Oh well, nobody's perfect. <smile>

Gerald