[bksvol-discuss] Re: Changing Misspelled words?

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:37:22 -0600

Folks,  it is not relevant why Sears and kenmore were switched around.
The bottomline is that we are not supposed to alter the bodytext in a
book.

Guido

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
Research Division,
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
03/07/2005 01:21 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Changing Misspelled words?

If I knew what you know about trucks, and I realized
that Sears just makes Kenmore appliances, I probably
would change that. It doesn't sound as if that was
intentional on the author's part. I  would do a find
and see if that was repeated elsewhere in the book,
because then maybe it was intentional, and I wouldn't
change it. Or if the character made a habit of of
mis-stating things -- malapropisms, I think they're
called -- then I wouldn't change it, either.  Of
course, it probably wouldn't have occurred to me,
unless the truck was called Kenworth later on in the
story, and I remembered that it was called Kenmore
before.

Cindy

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!