[bksvol-discuss] Re: Book chopping or other defacing

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:36:04 -0800 (PST)

Yes, I do the same thing to "chop" a book.  I remove the cover by hand, and
then use an industrial-strength chopper that's in the office, right behind
where I was sitting in the CBS video. The chopper goes through paperbacks, even
400 page ones, like a hot knife through butter.  Hardbound books are a
different story.  Because the pages are thicker, I usually cut the book into
200-page sections, and then have to use most of my weight to get the blade
through the pages.

  Luckily most publishers try to have the same inside margin next to the spine,
but occasionally the margin will vary and I'll chop off some words on several
pages.  This is what happened when I chopped a February New York Times
bestseller, The Winter Lodge.  There are probably 20 pages with words chopped
off, so I have to check those pages very carefully and type in the complete
word.  Sigh!  At least all the other bestsellers were okay.  I'll try to get
all the easy bestsellers (and the ones people have requested) into the
collection first, then validate the harder ones (the non-fiction ones and The
Winter Lodge).

  Carrie

agoldringtajalli <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      v\:* {   BEHAVIOR: url (#default#vml)  }      v\:* {   BEHAVIOR: url
(#default#vml)  }        79F8FDE2-E90C-4120-9A2C-E484CCFAA091
http://us.f305.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Upload?Data=upl1824525316  repeat  #f3eded
left  top  BCEB29C0-42D3-11D4-BA3E-0050DAC68030  0
BCEB29C0-42D3-11D4-BA3E-0050DAC68030  1  A5BE2A00-37CC-11D4-BA36-0050DAC68030
0  A5BE2A00-37CC-11D4-BA36-0050DAC68030  1
601231A0-325F-11D4-BA2D-0050DAC68030  0  X-ASN,X-ASH,X-AN,X-AP,X-AD  ;
    Jamie,

  For those who do not already know how to "chop" a book - painful though it
may seem - this is how I did it - I removed the cover as one piece and then had
the "spine" cut off by the nearest hardware store like Ace's or Lowe's or you
local store.  It may seem dreadful but sometimes it not only facilitates the
use of the ADF scanner but the use of a normal scanner.  In addition, it
insures that the words on the inner margins will be included without
distortion.  I did it when I was scanning so that I could insure that the whole
pages would be clear.

  It is a choice between having one book for myself or having a really good
copy of a book for Bookshare.  And I can always keep the cover with the loose
pages to use to check the original when validating the copy.  And if I want my
heirs to inherit the book they will be happy to have something from me even in
that form. I would not recommend doing it to first printings and first
editions;  Nor to very valuable editions.  One book I splurged and bought in
paperback to avoid harming my hardback while still getting a copy I could read
from the scan. I needed the scan  to read but would not harm the good edition
and it was worth the $ to get the paperback.  In most cases I would not, could
not afford to do that but I really wanted to read the book.

  As for annotating your own books by highlighting or writing notes.  For books
you will keep the notes will help you when you next read it or use it for
reference and may also trigger memories of a time and place - hopefully good.
You might also find you are adding notes each time you read it.  Some of my
books have sections with multi-colored comments and under-linings.  Some books
I have lent or given to people who were grateful for my notes.  It is different
if you need to resell the books but for keepers, do yourself the favor and
highlight and make notes for your future or your offspring.

  Amy in Florida - stay warm