[bksvol-discuss] Re: Best sellers that aren't making it into the collection

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:46:36 -0800 (PST)

Actually, I usually chop, scan and OCR in the office, and then take some of the
books home so I can validate them early in the morning or late at night or
whenever I have a spare moment.  I've spend the past 6 hours at home, finishing
up The War, which is now available for everyone to download.

And since I mentioned The War, this is just a little aside - there's one
interesting passage that presents an idea that had never occurred to me either:
Leopold went to work, doing his best first to patch up wounded Americans and
then the twenty or so wounded Germans they had managed to capture over the
course of the day. "As I was doctoring the shoulder wound of a young German
approximately twenty-four years of age," he recalled, "he turned to me — and in
a voice completely accent-free — said, 'Is it permitted to talk to you?' "
I said, "Yes, what's on your mind?"
He said, "Where are you from?"
I said, "I'm from the United States."
"Where in the United States?"
"The Northeast," I said.
"Where in the Northeast?"
I said, "I'm from Connecticut."
"Where in Connecticut?" He was persisting.
 I said, "I'm from Waterbury, Connecticut."
"Ah, yes," he said, "Waterbury, at the junction of the Naugatuck and Mad
rivers."
Now, you have to know a bit about the area. The Naugatuck is a fairly
substantial river. But the Mad River is a little stream that you can jump
across without any trouble. Anyone who knew this ... I was puzzled.
I said, "How did you possibly know that?"
He said, "I was in training for the administration."
"The administration of what?"
He said, "The administration of the Territories."
My blood went cold. I couldn't imagine that Hitler, in his wildest imagination,
not only had Europe in his grasp, but also figured that he would control
America.

Carrie