[bksvol-discuss] Re: Best sellers that aren't making it into the collection

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:11:29 -0500

Hi all,

Dunnow why there's such a hoodoo. This is a problem easily solved. If Carrie buys the books, which is part of Bookshare's contract with us as a provider of books, then why doesn't she put out a call for help when scanning a best seller is not within her comfort level? She could mail the purchased book to whomever volunteered to scan it. It would be a priority call on the volunteer list, sort of like an emergency 911 or something. She shouldn't be forced to scan and read something that makes her feel uncomfortable. At the same time, Bookshare has made a commitment to scan all the best sellers. Therefore, an emergency or high priority request to the volunteer list would solve this issue handily.

In addition, with the new funding now available, it should be possible to pay scanners. Once a scanner, hmmm, or is that scannor, is paid, then he or she cannot demur when asked to scan books which make him/her uncomfortable. Or, at least the issue is not as important. If a scannor is paid, then perhaps there could be two employed so that what one won't or can't scan the other can?

Ann P.

P.S., I'm spelling the person who scans with an o r instead of an e r to distinguish the machine from its user. I have no idea if this is correct, but it makes sense to me. Yeh, I know I'm cracked. Just humor me, eh?

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring