[bksvol-discuss] The War

  • From: Julie & Miss Mercy <mercy421@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 05:29:21 -0500

Oy! That gave me chills! I might have to read this. Thanks for the excerpt.
Take care.
--
Julie Morales
I sell Avon, All Mixed Up gourmet mixes and candles and other scents from Scentsational Delights. Ask me for more specific information if you're interested! Check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/mercy0421/

Carrie Karnos wrote:
Actually, I usually chop, scan and OCR in the office, and then take some of the books home so I can validate them early in the morning or late at night or whenever I have a spare moment. I've spend the past 6 hours at home, finishing up The War, which is now available for everyone to download. And since I mentioned The War, this is just a little aside - there's one interesting passage that presents an idea that had never occurred to me either:

Leopold went to work, doing his best first to patch up wounded Americans and then the twenty or so wounded Germans they had managed to capture over the course of the day. "As I was doctoring the shoulder wound of a young German approximately twenty-four years of age," he recalled, "he turned to me — and in a voice completely accent-free — said, 'Is it permitted to talk to you?' "

/I said, "Yes, what's on your mind?" /

/He said, "Where are you from?" /

/I said, "I'm from the //United States//." /

/"Where in the //United States//?" /

/"The Northeast," I said. /

/"Where in the Northeast?" /

/I said, "I'm from //Connecticut//." /

/"Where in //Connecticut//?" He was persisting./

/ I said, "I'm from //Waterbury//, //Connecticut//." /

/"Ah, yes," he said, "//Waterbury//, at the junction of the //Naugatuck// and Mad rivers."/

/Now, you have to know a bit about the area. The //Naugatuck// is a fairly substantial river. But the //Mad// //River// is a little stream that you can jump across without any trouble. Anyone who knew this ... I was puzzled./

/I said, "How did you possibly know that?"/

/He said, "I was in training for the administration."/

/"The administration of what?"/

/He said, "The administration of the Territories."/

/My blood went cold. I couldn't imagine that Hitler, in his wildest imagination, not only had //Europe// in his grasp, but also figured that he would control //America//./

Carrie

        Date: 11/10/2007 3:47 PM

    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    11/11/2007 10:12 AM