[bksvol-discuss] An Interesting Occurrence

  • From: "William Korn" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "willythekorn" for DMARC)
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 20:08:58 +0000 (UTC)

The ISBN printed in the book I just submitted is incorrect.  When I presented
it to the submission application, it came up with the metadata for another book
from the same publishing house.  I was able to secure the proper ISBN by going
to a website containing the publisher's bibliography, which Bookshare confirmed
by putting up the proper metadata.
Is this common?  Does my doing this in any way disturb the balance of the
universe?
Since I'm here... another question.
This same book had a number of unusual characters in it, such as accented
vowels, as well as the character for the dipthong which is represented by the
letters "a" and "e" smushed together.  The ABBYY OCR software did not read them
correctly, so I corrected them by hand.  Can Bookshare's processing software
handle them correctly (or was I wasting my time)?  If so, does anyone know if
there's a setting in ABBYY that will capture them correctly?
Bill Korn