[bksvol-discuss] Re: An Interesting Occurrence

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 14:50:36 -0600

Hi William,

Within the book itself, don't change the printed ISBN. Keep it as it is, unless you are positive that it is a scanno.

To get the metadata to work correctly to bring up the right book's information on Bookshare's site, here's what I do when this happens. Put in the ISBN that you got from the website so it brings up the correct metadata. After you get the metadata to come up correctly, change the isbn on the metadata page to the one that is in the book, while leaving everything else as it is. You can do that because once you get the metadata page to come up, you can edit anything that's one it.

I've had the database in the submission application for Bookshare come up with the wrong metadata for a correct ISBN a couple of times now in the last few months. It's unusual, but it does happen.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 11/16/2015 2:08 PM, William Korn (Redacted sender willythekorn for DMARC) wrote:

The ISBN printed in the book I just submitted is incorrect. When I presented it to the submission application, it came up with the metadata for another book from the same publishing house. I was able to secure the proper ISBN by going to a website containing the publisher's bibliography, which Bookshare confirmed by putting up the proper metadata.

Is this common? Does my doing this in any way disturb the balance of the universe?

Since I'm here... another question.

This same book had a number of unusual characters in it, such as accented vowels, as well as the character for the dipthong which is represented by the letters "a" and "e" smushed together. The ABBYY OCR software did not read them correctly, so I corrected them by hand. Can Bookshare's processing software handle them correctly (or was I wasting my time)? If so, does anyone know if there's a setting in ABBYY that will capture them correctly?

Bill Korn