[bksvol-discuss] Re: An Interesting Occurrence

  • From: "William Korn" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "willythekorn" for DMARC)
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 22:12:14 +0000 (UTC)

Inside.

From: Gary Petraccaro <garypet130@xxxxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 12:20 AM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: An Interesting Occurrence

Incorrect on the cover or inside the book?Just curious.
----- Original Message ----- From: William Korn (Redacted sender
"willythekorn" for DMARC) To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Monday,
November 16, 2015 3:08 PM Subject: [bksvol-discuss] An Interesting Occurrence
The ISBN printed in the book I just submitted is incorrect.  When I
presented it to the submission application, it came up with the metadata for
another book from the same publishing house.  I was able to secure the proper
ISBN by going to a website containing the publisher's bibliography, which
Bookshare confirmed by putting up the proper metadata.
Is this common?  Does my doing this in any way disturb the balance of the
universe?
Since I'm here... another question.
This same book had a number of unusual characters in it, such as accented
vowels, as well as the character for the dipthong which is represented by the
letters "a" and "e" smushed together.  The ABBYY OCR software did not read
them correctly, so I corrected them by hand.  Can Bookshare's processing
software handle them correctly (or was I wasting my time)?  If so, does anyone
know if there's a setting in ABBYY that will capture them correctly?
Bill Korn