[bksvol-discuss] Re: Should I Even Bother Scanning This Book?

  • From: "William Korn" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "willythekorn" for DMARC)
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 15:06:59 +0000 (UTC)

Thank you all. On your advices, I will finish this book.  The Lord Dunsany fans
can also look forward to two full novels of his that don't seem to be in
library, also two jmore short story collections.
Bill Korn

From: Evan Reese Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2015 11:15 AMTo:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Should I Even Bother
Scanning This Book? Hi William,With over a hundred thousand members, there are
bound to be members who will really want to read that book, no matter how
little text might be in it.If it were me, I’d do it.Evan From: William Korn
(Redacted sender "willythekorn" for DMARC) Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2015
10:43 AMTo: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Should I
Even Bother Scanning This Book? I chose as my second book to scan for Bookshare
a collection of fantasy writing by Lord Dunsany, namely a short work of short
stories (some of them very short) entitled "Tales of Three Hemispheres".  The
book is 160 pages long, including a longish forward by H.P. Lovecraft. HOWEVER
The edition of the book I have available is an "arty" one.  It contains 14
full-page illustrations, as well as large standardized illustrations at the
beginning and end of each story, none of which really add anything to the text,
and none of them of particular artistic value. (The illustrations in the
original 1919 edition were done by the great fantasy artist Sidney Sime, these
are not the originals.)  Moreover, each illustration is either preceded or
followed by a blank page, and there are random blank pages spread throughout
the book.  Finally, this edition features a large font and very wide margins
all around.  At a guess, this 160-page book might have as many as 50 pages of
text, were it printed without illustrations, blank pages, and with a smaller
font and narrower margins. What concerns me is that the reading experience of
this book as a Bookshare book would be constantly interrupted by new pages
(i.e. page number announcements), blank pages, or pages with nothing on them
but an image not really worth describing.  The whole art of Lord Dunsany is in
his beautifully crafted text. Is all this a problem?  Is it worth, do you
think, continuing with this book? Bill Korn