[bksvol-discuss] Re: Adult rating

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 14:08:03 -0500

the problem with giving things adult ratings for only minor language issues or
whatever, is that people who have no access to the adult rated books will never
see your long descriptions explaining why the book was
tagged as adult. the cut off age for bookshare is 18. So some where along the
line, we're going to do somebody a dissertvice, since by flagging something as
adult, we cut off access to 10-year-olds and 17-year-olds
alike. There are plenty of things I wouldn't want a child under say, 12 or 13
reading. But by the time that same person is a junior or senior in high school,
then why not? Language standards in particular have become a
lot more liberal in recent years. Just look at what's allowed on regular tv
these days.  The whole question of what is or isn't adult reading and at what
age it becomes acceptable is a huge messy quagmire. I tend to
prefer to allow more access with caviats as appropriate in the description,
rather than flagging the book as adult, thereby ensuring that nobody under 18
can even know that its available.
Mary