[biztech-discussion] New twist to pro-offshoring arguments

  • From: Ann Thryft <athryft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 10:12:42 -0700

CONSULTANT urges 'offshoring'

Paul Blustein
Washington Post
Jul. 4, 2004 12:00 AM

A report by an influential consulting firm exhorts US companies to speed

up "offshoring" operations to China and India, including high-powered
functions such as research and development.

In blunt terms, the report by the Boston Consulting Group warns American
firms that they risk extinction if they hesitate to shift facilities to
countries with low costs. That is partly because the potential savings
are so vast, but the report also cites a view among U.S. executives that
the quality of American workers is deteriorating.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/0704outsource04.html

That's a new one--not only are American workers more expensive, we are
lousier, too. Sounds like blame the victim to me.

Ann Thryft