[biztech-discussion] Re: New twist to pro-offshoring arguments

  • From: MzWord@xxxxxxx
  • To: biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 16:17:34 EDT

In a message dated 7/5/2004 1:00:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bertaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> worked 14 hours a day through my high-tech career. So, did thousands of my
> co-workers. We worked hard. We worked smart. We worked creatively. We got a
> piece of the pie, but we had to ignore our families and our communities and
> our democracy. Look what it got us.

The paradigm resonates for folks like myself who, in their 20's and 30's
being somewhat ambitious, and thinking that hard work would get one ahead,
all-nighters in freelance gigs in cities like NY, for example, in A-V
production or TV or film. Not 14-hour days, but 18-hour days and more! We used
to call
it "paying one's dues."  Til we burned out. Til we figured out we were
spinning our wheels, that there would always be someone younger or more
ambitious to
work for a lower rate. The A-V shops used to keep churning out and burning
through talent til the rates got too high, then look for novices who'd work for

But, this is old stuff, and I know this site should be more about fresh
ideas, rather than old tunes.