[biztech-discussion] Re: New twist to pro-offshoring arguments

  • From: MzWord@xxxxxxx
  • To: biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 15:26:12 EDT

Andreas is right. We have known for some time that the quality of education
in many, many countries is higher than in the U.S. public system. The
motivation plus skill level of East Indians is enormous. In India, once they
got rid of
the official caste system, it unleashed powerful forces of heretofore
repressed populations of dynamic individuals, especially women, rearing to go.
just don't see that here, at least not this decade -- except among immigrant
Read the article, ya'll!

A smart thing to do would be for the Union membership to become as educated
as it can be about the countries and populations that are taking on offshored
work. We cannot make the mistake of not knowing "the other."  It's one of the
big failures of U.S. policy in other areas, and we can't afford to be ignorant
about other countries and cultures.

If Arnold needs to save money now by offshoring State work, it may come back
to haunt him. I'll bet his top financial advisors are making it seem like it's
THE thing to do, too.