[biztech-discussion] Re: New twist to pro-offshoring arguments

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:46:39 -0700

From: "Ann Thryft" <athryft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> That's a new one--not only are American workers more expensive, we are
> lousier, too. Sounds like blame the victim to me.

Read the New Yorker article. It's a remarkable description of the lives of the
workers. They are extremely motivated and eager to work at a very high level.
They want to
work 14-hour days.

That the Indian workers would be more motivated and better-skilled than
American workers
isn't surprising.

There's a billion Indians, but the number who are working the offshored jobs is
perhaps only
one or two million. So we're not talking about the average Indian worker. The
workers are "the elite of the elite" of Indian workers.

These elite workers will capture the best (i.e., most expensive) American jobs.
The New
Yorker points out that as much as 20% of Wall Street's top jobs have
disappeared: stocks
analysts, financial experts, and so on. All of these are being done in India.

One also has to consider that the Indians are working on US time. Their work
day starts at 8
am NYC time. How many Americans would be willing to work that way?

There is a similar argument in sports. The Scientific American, I think, had a
about the number of Olympic atheletes from countries. For example, based on
population size,
the USA (280m) should produce more Olympic atheletes than Denmark (4m). So one
can calculate
an expected number of atheletes per population base.

Yet... a number of countries produce as many as 18 times the expected number of
Regrettably, the USA is not in that class. Other countries offer far more
resources for
atheletes to concentrate on their skills.

This national attitude is refected in the training of engineers. The US
continues to slide
down in the production of engineers. Fewer and fewer engineers graduate each
year. Yet India
and China, which already produce far more engineers than the USA, both in total
numbers and
as a percentage of their population, are accelerating by remarkable amounts.
They place a
very high value on education.

How highly is education valued in the USA? Rod Paige, the White House Secretary
Education, called the teachers' union "a terrorist organization".