[AZ-Observing] Re: Tonight's Eclipse

  • From: <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:38:55 -0400

Quite a few EVAC members set up at two locations in the Desert Botanical Garden
in east Phoenix.  The eclipsed moon rose spectacularly over a hill dotted with
saguaro cacti.  As much as we astronomers don't like lights, I have to admit
that the tastefully lit saguaros made for a perfect foreground.  Thanks again
go to Howard Israel, who is the reason for the dramatic increase in public EVAC
events.

I used a 70mm refractor and  10x30mm image-stabilized binoculars.  The small
scope at 24x surrounded the moon with plenty of sky.  This may be selective
memory, but despite the brightness of this eclipse, it seemed less colorful
than others I have viewed.  At mid-totality, the moon had a "C" shape (a
crescent facing to the left) due to the moon not passing centrally through the
earth's shadow.

My best view was through the IS binoculars.  To take full advantage of the
stabilization, it is best to brace your elbows on a vehicle or something first.
 Then when you press the IS button, the smaller quiver in the image goes away,
and you're left convinced the things are mounted on a tripod.  As with previous
eclipses, the binoculars gave a real 3D impression of a sphere hanging in the
sky, something I naver get from a non-eclipsed moon.

As for surrounding star field, this one wasn't one of the best.  The moon was
placed in a bland star field in Libra.  In November of 1993, an eclipsed moon
was placed between the Hyades and Pleiades.  During Summer of 1983, I remember
seeing the moon near the Lagoon Nebula in a busy star field.

Many Phoenicians include May as one of the uncomfortably hot months.  I can't
imagine more pleasant conditions than what we had last night in the desert.

Tom